Sunday 22 January 2012

Fuel, Big gears and chasing showers

The weather for today was favourable, if a bit breezy.  I wanted to get a few extra miles in, so went into Llangefni and up towards Four Crosses, via Penmynydd Hill -  a great way to get warmed up after a few miles, average heart rate up here was 161.

Going was good from Penmynydd to Four Crosses with a tailwind making for a good 23-26mph average at times.  However, I decided to conserve my energy as I knew I would be battling a headwind all the way from Llanfairpwll to Rhosneigr.   The strength of the wind can be seen in the distance between Cable Bay and Rhosneigr with the rough seas (right).



I also met up with a fellow cyclist along the way near Mallatraeth and Aberffraw, who was taking a different route to me, and shortly aftera quick catch up, I took a pit stop for the Video blog (below)

After that I carried on towards Llanfaelog, taking a circular route into Rhosneigr and was shortly rewarded with a strong tailwind, which allowed for a good return - allowing me to use the 52:19 gears, and power up the hill out of Rhosneigr towards Llanfaelog and likewaise from Bryngwran towards Gwalchmai (Treban Hill), averaging 25mph on the flat. However, I did end up catching a small shower which crossed my path near Gwalchmai and into Mona, which was refreshing!

The momentum carried me up the hill in 52:21 from Mona to Rhostrewhwfa at 16mph, and the training during the last week has made a big improvement over last week along this particular section.


I took on extra fuel during breakfast, and this certainly helped with maintaining muscle glycogen levels throughout the ride (being topped up with regular energy drink).  A return back in time for lunch and refuelling!

A decent run today so can't complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.